Friday, January 17, 2014

The Monkey's Marginalia, No 5

-Nobody here but us gongoozlers...

This is my next installment of the random bits; the things too short for their own post, but interesting enough to talk about.

1. The makers of The Ship of Theseus (film) are going to allow the audience to make their own cut of the movie by uploading the raw footage to the internet.

2.  Interesting article about cracking a code and finding a secret society via Wired.  Plus a link to Uppsala University, as one of the people responsible for decoding the text works in linguistics for the university.

3. The Midrash.
For centuries the Midrash was a way to for Jewish religious leaders to clarify, expound and provide greater understanding of the books that comprise their holy texts.  If I remember correctly, one of my religious professors said this commentary was often written in the margins of the Tanakh.  Originally an oral tradition, it evolved into a written tradition; and is considered to be exegesis as it strives for critical interpretation and explanation of religious texts.
Links:
-wikipedia article on Midrash
-Midrash - The Key to Interpretation
-Is Midrash for Real?

4. Dos Passos
I found a book of reviews written about the works of Dos Passos.  Of note may be this passage from Gore Vidal's review of Midcentury:


The book is available through archive.org here

5. Anyone else been thinking of this one? 


(8/1/14 edited for grammar, format, tags added)

3 comments:

  1. Griffin and Sabine and A.S. Byatt's Possession have been on my mind since I began this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder, I can't believe I didn't make the connections with Possession. One of my favorite books. Very similar tone as the marginalia, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having just finished the book, I was struck by how Eric's handwriting reminds me of Griffin's...or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete