Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monkey's Marginalia, No. 3

1.  I am going through the book again as some of the avenues I want to follow are on hold until the books come.  I did notice in the forward that Caldeira lists SOT as Straka's twentieth novel; but there are only 19 that we know of.   So there is a hidden Straka novel?   I apologize if this has been touched on somewhere else.
(7/31/14 edited to note, there is NO 20th Straka novel. I misread a passage in the Forward of SOT in January.) 

2.  I also found the place in one of the postcards included in S.; it's an old photograph of the Botanical Gardens in Rio de Janeiro. (image courtesy of the SFiles22)

3.  Here is the image taken from Google Maps street view for comparison.  


4.  As I posted on twitter a couple of days ago, I found another reference ad for the Grimshaw review posted on twitter by Doug Dorst.   This one also comes from The Saturday Review (October 15, 1949).  


5. And an unrelated bit of minutiae, I did find a Scottish author, Helen MacInnes who wrote spy novels.  



No comments:

Post a Comment